Business Analyst 16 January 2019
An opportunity has arisen for a Business Analyst to join our Birmingham based software design and consultancy team.
We are looking to hire a Business Analyst to join the MIS team.
Detailed Job Specification
The successful candidate will join a small, highly skilled & motivated team, delivering web applications, integration platforms and data consultancy expertise, to the marine Industry.
Day-to-day responsibilities are likely to include, but not be limited to:
- Requirements gathering and production for new development projects / modules;
- Helping define the roadmap for our products / solutions;
- Keeping abreast of marine data sector developments and their impact on the Marine Assurance process;
- Configuration and implementation of production systems, both pre and post go-live;
- Creation of mock-ups and wireframes, working with the design and development teams;
- Baseline documentation of existing systems;
- Liaising with stakeholders through phone discussions, e-mails and workshops;
- Acting as a point of escalation to the support team to help analyse complex issues;
- Working closely with developers throughout the full development lifecycle, taking ownership of problems and ensuring their satisfactory resolution;
- Assisting the QA team in understanding requirements and prioritising focus of testing activities;
- Elements of project management and planning;
- Visiting client locations for workshops and delivering training – occasional international travel will be required.
The successful candidate would be required to describe and, where appropriate, demonstrate with examples, experience appropriate for the following key responsibilities of the role, including:
- Strong Business Analysis experience – ideally 3-4 years’ experience;
- Have a strong desire to research and acquire domain knowledge in a complex environment;
- Confident in being a part of the central knowledge team in providing advice and guidance to internal teams and customers;
- Stakeholder management experience, with a key focus on developing strong customer relationships;
- Be an innovator, with the confidence to suggest and implement new ideas and processes to improve delivery and the customer experience;
- Be a logical thinker who can map a logical process, as well as be able to ‘think on your feet’, as requirements change;
- Ability to work autonomously within a team – have a collaborative approach;
- Must have knowledge of the Full Software Development Lifecycle;
- Experience on software development and web application projects;
- Able to effectively scope and gather requirements, and translate them into functional specifications;
- Experience of creating documentation – specifications, user guides and training materials;
- Be able to communicate technical concepts to groups and individuals, without technical expertise in a way that they can understand.
Beyond specific BA expertise, we’re looking for the following personal attributes:
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Able to work in a variety of different team situations, ranging from a team of one to many;
- Ability to independently analyse and research problems, then propose solutions;
- An understanding of project management/ownership;
- A pragmatic mind-set and the ability to get things done;
- Experience of the Agile/Scrum development methodology (Desirable);
- Previous experience or knowledge of oil and gas industry, maritime transport or large-scale engineering would be highly useful in this role;
- Previous development/coding experience or training would be a benefit, but is not essential;
MIS Marine (MIS) specialise in the design, build and maintenance of software solutions relating to the shipping of oil, gas and chemical products. The systems we develop and maintain are used by oil majors globally, who have an interest in these activities.
We are a niche company, profitable since our beginning and enjoying a period of growth based on long-term strategic relationships.
Our multi-disciplinary team based in Longbridge, Birmingham, currently numbers 39, with an emphasis on technical and analytical skillsets. We are an engineer-led company, with the management team themselves involved in day-to-day technical activity amongst the team.
We’re not big believers in bureaucracy or red tape and prefer to empower members of the team to be as productive as possible. As a growing company with an entrepreneurial culture, we encourage everyone on the team to get involved in any aspect of the company that interests them and are happy to provide whatever training and resources are necessary to facilitate this.
We have a genuinely relaxed and friendly working environment, with a self-motivated and enthusiastic team.
We’re able to offer a generous salary, fantastic career growth and the opportunity to work on unique and challenging projects.
The Application Process
To apply, please complete the form below, attaching your CV, along with a covering letter.
If invited to interview, you will undertake a the following interview process:
- An initial telephone interview with members team;
- If successful, an interview with members of the BA & management teams;
- If successful, 2-3 hour session with the team.
During the session, which is more of an exploratory discussion than an interview, you’ll have the opportunity to ask members of the team questions (and vice versa), and be involved in helping to solve whatever tasks the team are working on during the given day.
In our experience, this interview process, allowing candidates to spend hands-on time with the team, enables both parties to make an informed decision and provides a unique insight into our working environment and practices.
|Period:||Permanent (subject to successful 3-month probationary period)|
|Salary:||£35,000 - £40,000, dependent on experience|